Family Focused. Results Driven.
Schedule your FREE 15-minute consultation with Koru Chiropractic
Natural, Safe, & Effective Headache Treatment
Headaches are an extremely common condition. Nearly everyone suffers from occasional headaches since the causes of headaches are so wide-ranging. However, many people suffer from weekly or even daily headaches that are not resolving on their own.
Headaches can be very distracting, and even debilitating, halting all daily activities. People often feel shame or guilt around persistent headaches since they have to take daily medications to stave off the symptoms, knowing that their headaches will return as soon as the medications wear off.
Dr. Norris has helped hundreds of chronic headache sufferers get off their daily headache meds with his unique approach. Before working with him, most of these patients felt little to no hope and were faced with “always having to deal with headaches because they are normal” This is not true!
There are many reliable forms of headache treatment, and most of our patients have tried just about everything before they find us. This is unfortunate because most healthcare practitioners just “chase the pain” instead of finding the cause, which is why Dr. Norris is different.
Causes Of Headaches
Headaches are caused by many things, ranging from dehydration to brain cancer. This is why Dr. Norris takes all headache cases very seriously and is sure to rule out any quick fixes or more ominous causes before moving forward with any kind of treatment plan.
In the vast majority of cases, headaches are actually created from stress or tension traveling up from the neck. If the stress is sustained without relief for a long period of time, then a spinal misalignment can occur. This is called a Cervicogenic Headache, Tension Headache, or Stress Headache.
At that point, the headaches have become chronic. Dr. Norris often finds that there has been an underlying history of trauma to the neck and head when headaches get to this stage, also known as ‘micro-traumas’.
Micro-traumas are everyday activities such as sitting at a desk or driving for long periods of time, carrying a heavy briefcase or handbag on the same shoulder day after day, or very commonly, extensive cell phone usage leading to loss of cervical lordosis or Text Neck / Tech Neck. Dr. Norris finds that most people who are suffering from neck pain, shoulder stiffness, and headaches are directly correlated to text-neck.
What is Text Neck AKA Tech Neck?
The technical term is Loss of Cervical Lordosis but it is often called Military Neck, Cervical Kyphosis, Text Neck, or Tech Neck. Loss of cervical lordosis used to be caused by whiplash injuries but is now known for chronic cell phone, videogame, or computer use, hence the term ‘text’ or ‘tech’ neck.
Tech Neck can lead to a lifetime of spinal health problems. Starting with poor posture, eventually leading to stiff and tender muscles, muscle spasms, spinal pain, numbness and tingling, sciatica, tension headaches, and even lead to long-lasting and intense migraines.
Migraine Care and Treatment in Louisville Colorado
Many mainstream approaches to the treatment of migraines focus heavily on symptom suppression and triggers and are rarely traced to the root cause of the problem, which means management at best in terms of long-term outcomes.
Migraines can be categorized in several different ways:
- With or Without Aura
- Chronic or Episodic
- With or Without a Headache
- Other Differentiations
Common symptoms across the entire migraine categorization are:
- Throbbing, Pulsating pain
- Light Sensitivity
- Sound Sensitivity
- Pain On One Side
- Vision Changes, Blurred Vision
While the symptomatic-focused approach can provide relief, they do not focus on the physiological factors that actually cause the symptoms, leaving the root cause untouched.
Triggers vs. Root Cause for Migraines or Headaches
Triggers are environmental factors or changes that cause migraines to start or get worse. It is important to distinguish the difference between root causes and triggers.
Unlike triggers, the underlying root cause isn’t always present but can be aggravated by triggers that cause the symptoms of migraines. Our upper cervical chiropractic care focuses on getting to the root cause of migraines.
Some common triggers include:
Hormonal changes are a common trigger for migraines and headaches, particularly in women. The fluctuations in hormone levels, particularly estrogen, can cause changes in the brain and blood vessels that can lead to headaches and migraines.
Changes in temperature, humidity, barometric pressure, and other weather-related factors can affect the chemicals in the brain and cause blood vessels to constrict or dilate, leading to headaches and migraines.
Stress can cause changes in the levels of chemicals in the brain, such as serotonin and dopamine, which can lead to headaches and migraines.
Bright lights can be a trigger for headaches and migraines in some people, particularly those who are sensitive to light. Bright or flickering lights can cause changes in the brain and affect the chemicals that regulate pain, which can lead to headaches and migraines.
The exact triggers can vary from person to person, but some common food triggers include:
- Caffeine: Consuming too much caffeine or suddenly reducing caffeine intake can trigger headaches and migraines in some people.
- Alcohol: Red wine, beer, and other types of alcohol can trigger migraines and headaches in some people.
- Processed foods: Processed foods that contain artificial preservatives, such as nitrites or MSG, can trigger headaches and migraines in some people.
- Dairy products: Some people are sensitive to dairy products and may experience headaches and migraines after consuming them.
- Chocolate: Chocolate contains caffeine and other chemicals that can trigger headaches and migraines in some people.
- Citrus fruits: Citrus fruits, such as oranges and grapefruits, contain a chemical called tyramine that can trigger headaches and migraines in some people.
Physical exertion can cause changes in blood flow and increase muscle tension, which can lead to headaches and migraines.
Some common sources of physical strain that can trigger headaches and migraines include:
- Exercise: Intense physical activity, such as running or weightlifting, can trigger headaches and migraines in some people.
- Sexual activity: Sexual activity can also trigger headaches and migraines in some people.
- Poor posture: Poor posture or holding the head in a fixed position for long periods of time can cause muscle tension and trigger headaches.
- Tight clothing: Tight clothing or accessories, such as hats or headbands, can also cause muscle tension and trigger headaches.
Caffeine is a stimulant that can affect the blood vessels in the brain and cause changes in blood flow, which can lead to headaches and migraines.
Alcohol and other substances can be triggers for headaches and migraines in some people. The exact triggers can vary from person to person, but some common triggers include:
- Alcohol: Red wine, beer, and other types of alcohol can trigger migraines and headaches in some people. Alcohol can cause changes in blood flow and affect the chemicals that regulate pain, which can lead to headaches and migraines.
- Tobacco: Smoking or exposure to secondhand smoke can also trigger headaches and migraines in some people.
- Strong smells: Strong smells, such as perfumes or chemicals, can trigger headaches and migraines in some people.
- Medications: Certain medications, such as nitroglycerin, can cause headaches and migraines in some people.
- Hormonal changes: Hormonal changes, such as those that occur during menstruation or pregnancy, can also trigger headaches and migraines in some people.
This patient overcame daily tension headaches and even stopped taking daily medication under Dr. Norris’s specialized care.
Schedule a Consultation
Let us help you make your need for neck pain relief a thing of the past!
Let’s make your migraines a thing of the past!
Whether you’ve suffered from headaches or migraines for a few weeks or a few decades, Dr. Norris can help. His expert headache treatment paired with advanced diagnostic testing helps him find the root cause of the problem. If he finds that he can’t correct the cause problem himself, he’ll work with you to find the best solution for your condition.
Dr. Norris’s gentle and specific adjustments to the spine can help relieve the tension that builds in your head and usually the neck simultaneously. The results are typically quick, and long-lasting with no medications required! His approach focuses on removing neurological interference caused by spinal misalignments, therefore, optimizing your healing potential. The benefits of his approach are not limited to pain relief, but oftentimes patients notice they sleep better, have more energy, maintain better focus, and have more enthusiasm for their favorite activities again!
Dr. Norris has been providing NUCCA Upper Cervical Corrective Care as a safe and effective treatment of headaches and migraines for people in Louisville, Lafayette, Superior, Broomfield, Erie, and Boulder, Colorado. His techniques reignite that innate healing potential our bodies are equipped with, and it’s only a matter of TIME before our patients start doing the activities they love and living their happiest, healthiest, best lives! Schedule an appointment today!
Family Focused. Results Driven.
Schedule your FREE 15-minute consultation with Koru Chiropractic